Monday, January 9, 2012

Recycling Sweaters that you've felted (by accident) in the wash!

I was doing laundry last week and somehow missed separating my wool sweater from the baby clothes. The results, as most of you know were not anything that I could wear anymore. It might have fit an eight year old... I thought about making a coat for Victoria out of it, but the color was a drab brown that I could not see her in. 
The offending... or maybe offended sweater in question :)
However I could definitely see a cute hat made out of it.
Here's the result! (There will be more now that I saw how easy and cute these are!)

Almost done, I was still stitching the blanket stitch on the edge.
 My roommate was kind enough to play model for me, isn't she adorable?! Oh and ok I lied when I said it was my wool sweater earlier... it really was hers... Thank goodness she is absolutely awesome and smiled about the whole thing!

I call it my elf hat!

Side view with the flowers made out of felt. Nat, for whom this was for likes muted colors, my next one will be a lot more colorful I think!

I loved re-purposing this sweater. A few years back, it would have just gone out with the trash, but now that I strive to recycle everything in my life, I was able to come up with something fun and cute to make with it.
And it made me feel great that I was able to come up with the design in two seconds flat as well. Of course it's not exactly the hardest project, but the more I work with 3-D designs the happier I am with the results.

Thank you for checking this out!
Linking to Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do !

3 comments:

  1. Very cute and be proud you were able to turn it into something fun! Got your comment and try pasting the party button code into your post in html mode or just add as an html gadget to your blog design to add it to your sidebar. Thanks for linking up to Craftastic Monday and I can't wait to see what you share next:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love re-purposing old wool sweaters! I buy them at thrift stores and shrink them on purpose. The hat turned out great!
    I'm sending you an e-mail about how to sign up for the owl swap. - Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is lovely! (as is the lighting in the last photo!) ...and I LOVE that you made it out of an (unintentionally) felted sweater...that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete