Thursday, March 29, 2012

Making Crepes

I am having a crepe craving suddenly and so have invited a bunch of friends over tomorrow to have a play date for Victoria and to make and eat crepes.
I thought I would share my go to crepe recipe... one that my aunt always uses, and she makes the best crepes in the family.

Crepes (Not sure about the exact serving, we eat too many of them right away, but I would say it makes 20-30 crepes)

2 cups of milk
2 cups of flour
5 eggs
Half a stick of butter, melted
Zest of one lemon and one orange
Dash of vanilla
Pinch of salt

Easy, right? Here are a few of the tricks that I learned from my Grandmother.
First, it is best to make the batter the night before and let it rest all night long covered in the fridge. If you can't do that, one hour rest is acceptable.
Also, in the morning, after mixing and testing the batter you need to thin it down... often with as much as a whole other cup of milk, crepe batter is supposed to be very liquid, so much so that you can just pour a bit in the pan and swirl the pan to cover the whole bottom with the batter really fast.
The next trick, is your flame... it is sometimes hard to pinpoint the exact heat at which crepes get done the best. Usually on my burner it's at about a heat of seven, which is high! Crepes are supposed to cook quickly as soon as the edges are crisp, flip them over and just leave them on the pan for a scant few seconds before moving on to your next crepe.
And finally, don't take crepes too seriously... have fun... any ones that you burn or fold over are called "chaussons" and are usually devoured right away. This was my favorite thing in the world and I believe my grandmother sometimes messed up on purpose. I would wait by her side for one of these "chaussons" and would usually get one or two while she made the rest of the crepes. We weren't allowed to eat the nice crepes until they were all done and we could sit together of course.

Happy crepe eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment